Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Media Meditation #4: Miami for the 2nd time within 3 months??!!

Yes, my friends and I set out on the road AGAIN for a music festival in the heart of Miami. My parents couldn't believe it and neither could I! I was just there on New Year's for Phish. It's a two day event called Ultra Music Festival and was held at Bicentenial Park. More than 30,000 people were there from all over the states! The way it happened is actually kind of funny. I found out about this festival weeks before and thought about going...I didn't actually plan on it though. I mentioned it to my sister and my 3 friends who also knew about it. We all agreed that the line-up was amazing(my neo-cortex went to work) and that we wanted to go...we just didn't know how we were going to get there. At this point, my reptilian was racing more than ever! Plane tickets were way too expensive and the thought of driving 30 hours made us cringe! However, we knew that there was no other way of getting there. We didn't have a boat, we didn't have a plane and we weren't going to take a train because that would take even longer than driving. That's when we decided to make the drive. There were 5 of us in the car (very uncomfortable) and if we each drove 6 hours it wouldn't be that bad. We set out from VT on thursday morning March 25. Our plan was to catch the festy the 26 and the 27 and leave by Sunday the 28 to get back by Monday night. The ride down was probably the craziest part of the trip. The amount of times I thought we weren't going to make it was ridiculous. We took my friend Geoff's car so he drove most of the way. He's one of those drivers who looks at everything BUT the road. I noticed the technological shift because of the GPS in the car which was directing us towards miami. There were also 4 i-pods...all different models and 3 blackberrys which all had a GPS as well. Now tell me the age we are living in isn't crazy.! I also noticed a personal shift because my friends couldn't last the whole ride without going on facebook 100 times on their blackberrys. To me, this trip was a value message. I basically looked at is as something I cannot do when I'm older. I'm not going to be able to just leave my job and drive to Miami. I am only young once so this trip was really a big deal to me. It meant a lot to my friends and I. We almost crashed along the way so I thought my life was at stake. However, my friend's use of humor got me to forget about it and persuaded me to stick it out. Every state we passed through we saw symbols. For example, I saw many different bumper stickers such as The Grateful Dead and other popular bands. This also persuaded me to stick out the ride! Looking at these stickers got me pumped for the music I was about to see! When we hit Georgia, we all remembered that we didn't have a place to stay. I told my friends that I didn't have enough money so they said give a little more for gas and they got me covered...I think they bribed me? It worked though! When passing through Jacksonville and Orlando we saw many many palm trees which gave me warm fuzzies inside...I knew I was about to be on the beach! We finally got there...alive. We saw 2 days of unbelievable music and had the time of our lives. The light show and the sound was outstanding which also reveals the technological shift. The trip back was the worst because we didn't have anything good to look forward to except a long week of school. This trip is definitely an experience I am never going to forget. I also set up Google alerts for Ultra Music Festival 2011 so I can stay updated on the line-up, the location and other exciting news!

Here's a video I found on youtube that shows you the true experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment