Sunday, April 25, 2010

My top TeN MediA WOW"S!!!!

1. I have come to the realization that what we do, what we decide and what we trust are all affected by the media. The world of advertising and marketing has come to influence what Americans settle on and how they live their daily lives. This is revealed and explained in the movie, "The Persuaders". From the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed, I am exposed to millions of advertisments. Although it's very sickening, I cannot escape it! I have learned to accept the world of advertising because advertisments builds trust with the customer while making itself successful.


2. On Page 390, Hillard states that ideally, a writer/advertiser should write out of personal experience or knowledge to give the television show or whatever it may be a valid foundation. I totally agree with this idea because writing from personal experience definitely makes the story easier to develop. Once the writer develops the story, he or she can certainly include a life lesson since it is something they haven already gone through. I know that I have always wanted to write a show about my life. If it turned out to be a hit show, I could possibly even make it into a movie!
 

3. On Page 329, Hilliard explains the idea that media must motivate people and usually, it does. To develop an idea for a program, the writer must know the program's purpose as well as determining the purposes of the audience. If a training program is aimed at company employees, the intended audience has to be motivated to watch and pay attention to the program. This is why demographics are important too. This is why the writer must determine the kind of program material that will appeal to the viewers or the listeners.


4. On Page 334 Hilliard talks about corporate scripts and how they use the drama format. This creates suspense that holds the audience and a conflict whose solutions achieves the presentation's objective. In order for a film to have a dramatic impact, there must be a dramatic format. I found this interesting because it's probably easy for the writer to do this since he or she can relate back to a dramatic time in their personal life. Many commercials these days are very drama filled to either make the viewer laugh or understand the concept in it.


5. My first obervation came on Page 327, when first starting the chapter. Hilliard states that according to Writer's Market, corporate and educational films have been abigger business than Hollywood. Honestly, I would have never guessed this. I thought that just because Hollywood is more poular and glam, that it was the biggest of them all...I was wrong. I actually like how educational and informational films and tapes do better than the same old love story. I think it's important for teachers especially to show students educational films rather than pointless ones. This fact shows that media can actually be informational.


6. I noticed that on Page 389, Hilliard talks about censorship and how it often hampers the media. However, the writer can find basic concepts such as loyalty and independence as motivating factors upon which to develop a drama. This makes me wonder, what concepts are restricted from television? I feel that it is hard for the writer to tell what is acceptable and what is not. If I were to be a writer for a television show or a magazine, I would feel like my job would be on the line every time I incorporated something opinionated or violent. 


7. Hilliard states on Page 447 that every one must be ready to face frustration and even unfairness. In the world of media, different companies and agencies are always going to be persuading someone better by their creativeness. As with anyone else entering any phase of the visual or audio fields, one must be willing to break in with a crappy first job that has a low salary. It is through this experience where you learn even more about what it takes to be not good but great at your job and grow from there. 


8. I have learned that writing for the web is probably one of the hardest mediums to write for. Hilliard says that on Page 167, writing for the web is all about the writing. On many websites, there are no visuals to enhance the story. The words have to tell the complete story. This goes along with ad's too. In the world of media, advertisements are short pictures and words, not stories. 

9. On Page 101, Hilliard says that sometimes creativity seems to not be artistic on purpose. Sometimes, a simple format is all you need to get people's attention. At times, people get sick and tired of the same old commercials that are going above and beyond. I remember this one commercial I saw of dove, it was simple yet it got the point across. It focuses on this one girl the entire time but shows how different her face becomes with make-up and photoshop. The media world is all about enhancing what you don't have!! 


10. In "The Persuaders", I remember that in the world of marketing and advertising, there is a lot of group work. I never understood why Champlain was all about group work until now. Once your in the field, you must know how to work well together with your group in order to come up with a good idea. Working efficiently with a partner and a group is key in attaining success. For example, Song used a group to come up with a new logo, design, etc. It proved that working in groups is sometimes better than working by yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steph,

    This is a SATISFACTORY final TOP 10 REVELATIONS final examination (part 2) post.

    You write well.

    I'd like to see more detail, EMBEDS for EVERY revelation, subtitles for each of the 10 (as we discussed in class) and generally a bit more depth.

    I will be posting final grades by this week-end online.

    Thanks for your participation in our course, and enjoy your summer!

    Remember to keep meditating on your media...

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete