Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wear Sunscreen-Media Meditation #2




A few days ago when I was hanging out, one of my friends showed me this song. He asked me if I had ever heard of "The Sunscreen Song" and I said no. Once he showed this to me, I thought, "Wow! I am always going to wear sunscreen from now on". The words in it are turly powerful and stick in your head like glue. When first listening to it, my limbic brain was taking in all of the words and then the music. "The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists". Scientific evidence is just one of the persuasive techniques used in this song. He then talks about how the rest of his advice comes from personal experience. "You are not as fat as you imagine". When considering the seven principles of media education, this can relate to value messages and individual meaning. Many people think about their weight too much and would consider this meaningful to them. "The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind". This can be warm fuzzies just because it comforts me that the real troubles in my life won't ever cross my mind. There is also a lot of humor in this song...like when he says we will look back in 20 years at ourselves and we won't believe how good we looked! "Do one thing everyday that scares you...sing!" This is basically a simple solution to how to overcome our everyday fears. "Remember compliments you receive" Flattery is always good for the soul! "Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't..." This makes me feel that it's ok if I or anyone else never wanted to get married! These are just some of the persuasive techniques he uses to make people want to wear sunscreen. When watching this on youtube, there was an Epistemological shift because of the words that change to an image. Overall, the words and images of this song made me want to wear sunscreen because I want to live to be old and enjoy my life regardless of if I ever get married or have children or never find out what I want to do. I want to be able to enjoy my long life happily and healthy. So....everyone should wear sunscreen!

2 comments:

  1. GOOD m.m. on THE SUNSCREEN SONG, Steph!

    How 'bout some more embeds and hyperlinks?

    Catchy tune, and educational.

    Bravo!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT blog, Steph!

    Sorry to jump the gun there...

    Sunscreen,

    W

    ReplyDelete